Thursday, September 8, 2011

~What is Africa?~

So far I have been in this wonderful country for about 2 weeks. But, in my mind it feels like it has been much longer. We went through our week of orientation in our bubble of the Sleepy Hollow backpackers house and it was great. We got to see things, talk to new people, bond with each other, and at the end of the day make a familiar dinner and talk about ourselves and where we all came from. Yeah… it was a pretty good week for MUD 4 J
On Monday we were all thrown into the realities of why we are here. To experience new things. We were put on buses, kumbies, and got rides in cars and we were spread all across South Africa to meet our host families and begin our journeys of accompaniament with our host communities here in South Africa.  I got thrown a bit of a curve ball in that an hour before I was supposed to be picked up I found out there was an issue with my intended host family, an unexpected family member needed the room I was supposed to stay in, so my host community had a bit of a scramble but in the end it was arranged that I would stay with a woman named Gertie (pronounced Geh-tee) for now and possibly be with her for a few months and then I will be moved again. Though it was a bit of a wild situation I wasn’t worried because my country coordinator Brian said it best, “well, Elise… I guess God has a different plan for you.” So far that plan has worked out very well. Another young woman and her 20month old daughter are also staying here with Gertie and we have made quite the bunch so far!
Over these 2 weeks I have talked to quite a few people about what Africa is and the perception of Africa. What do you think of when you think of Africa? Lions? Elephants? Grassy plains? Hippos? People walking around in cheetah skin? Well, I’d be lying if I said that those images didn’t run through my head as well. But, now that I am here I see many different things. I see a developing country where the past and present are trying desperately to combine, I see a people trying to get over a hurtful past, I see booming businesses and street vendors, I see McDonalds and KFC, I see grassy plains and zebras walking down the road. The combination of what we expect to see and what we actually see is incredible. South Africa is a very developed place overall, much more than I think many people expect. In fact, there are times when I have to remind myself that I’m in Africa (other times Africa reminds me, like when you’re walking through a park and a giraffe crosses your path). Though there is this development there are many things to do and I think that is part of why we’re here to help in any ways we can and also to return to the US in another 10.5 months and show people that South Africa is a very developed place.
A challenge however, is people telling me, “well, you aren’t really seeing Africa” … I wonder well gee… where am I then? Saying South Africa isn’t really “Africa” is like saying that Florida isn’t really America. It is just a different kind of Africa really. Hopefully, throughout my year here I will be able to see more parts of South Africa as well as more parts of Africa as a whole and try to understand, just a little bit of what Africa is. Because Africa is a complex place with thousands of cultures and cities and people, and yes grassy plains and zebras… but I hope that I can see as much as I can, learn as much as I can, and maybe help a little along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment